(don't know where the idea for this post came from, maybe from Debbie at In His Pasture, her post about the biscuits brought this to mind...)
Imagine if you will about 26 years ago, a young wife and mother, in her first home. She and her young husband have scrimped and saved and done without, and finally put a down payment on a tiny but new home. She is so proud of her little house. It's small, but new, and she got to pick out the colors, the carpet, the flooring, the wallpaper and paint. They bought it at just the right stage. It's a pretty little house - 3 little bedrooms, 2 little bathrooms, a little kitchen, a little living room, and a little utility room. She has a new washer and dryer, a new queen size mattress set and she even found some garage sale bunk beds for her little son's room. She is expecting baby #2. She's planted some flowers and some tiny shrubs in the front flower bed, and her husband has put together a little swingset in the back yard and a little sandbox for their little boy to play in.
For their Christmas present that year, the young wife's in-laws have bought them a new-fangled contraption for the kitchen - a microwave oven! She is so proud! They've been on the market for a little while, but she knew nothing about them. She was so excited to begin using her microwave because she knew now she was a thoroughly modern housewife.
She planned a wonderful dinner one evening for her husband who worked hard all day. He came in about 5:30 and sat down to watch the news on their little TV set and hold their little boy in his lap. The young wife was so content in her little kitchen and feeling all Susie-homemaker-ish and everything was perfect in her world. She needed some boiled eggs for what she was preparing for dinner and she thought to herself, 'well, it would be so much faster and more efficient if I give my new microwave a try and boil my eggs in it!'
So, she placed a couple of eggs in a little dish in the microwave and set the timer. Then she went back to work on her meal preparation smiling to herself.
BAM!!!!!
She practically jumped out of her skin and screamed like she'd been shot! Her husband came running into the little kitchen yelling, "what happened????" There she was holding her hands over her little ears with a horrified look on her face. There was fragments of EGG all over her, all over the little floor, all over the little walls, all over the ceiling, all inside the microwave!!!
She burst into tears! The egg explosion had blown the door open to the microwave and had blown the eggs to kingdom come and back again! What a mess! Their little boy stood there looking dumbfounded. Then, her dear sweet little husband took her shoulders in his hands and guided her out of the kitchen. She sobbed into his neck, and he put his arms around her trying to keep from laughing. "It's NOT funny!" she said between her sniveling and snubbing. "I know, honey, it's not," he smiled. "Don't worry about it. I'll clean it up." And he did!
I found pieces of egg in places that I never knew it went when we got ready to move to another house 5 years later....

20 comments:
Now that was a great story...I needed a good laugh tonight! Think I will follow so I can read more. Happy Thanksgiving!
Blessings,
Linda
If it wasn't funny then it sure is now=) If that house was 26 years ago it was nice for then. My husband owned a home and we married and moved in. With my first child I had to be near momso we sold and I got my bigger home,but still one bath. My first microwave was one of the large one we made payments on at a furniture store. It was over 200 and we felt rich.
Cute post.
You poor thing! (chuckle, chuckle) Your husband is a really nice guy. I can't believe he cleaned up that mess. Let that be a lesson to anyone who entertains the idea of putting eggs in the microwave.
Debbie from 'in his pasure'.
Chicklet Deb
OOooooohhhhh! laughlaughlaughlaugh
I soooooo remember trying to boil an egg in the "new fangled" appliance back in '82! (Gosh, that sounds like what my grandparents would say!) Now, we're having to teach our children and grandchildren the same lesson. Nothing's changed... I had a great laugh, Chickie!
Ha ha ha..oops, I mean, oh Daisy, how unfortunate..laugh out loud! A lot!
I do remember when microwave ovens were new and many of us were afraid of the micro waves possible harmful effects on us. However, my newfangled micro-wave has proven to be one of the most wonderful additions to my kitchen, but I never did try to boil an egg in one.
Your young family time sounds so wonderful, and with the addition of another son, what a perfect life for you Daisy, you must just smile all the time!
I love that story! And to find pieces of egg years later, what a memory! Is that picture of the original explosion or did you do a re-enactment? (smile)
Christa
Chicklet Deb - Sorry! I meant "Of His Pasture"! You made me think of this story - thanks!
Thanks for your comments! I've since learned a little more about microwave cooking. Mostly just heating things up. Remember how expensive they were when they first came out? I think my in-laws paid $400-$500 for that "new-fangled" oven!
This is such a great story, is that the original picture or did you re-enact it for the blog?
We've all got stories like that I'm afraid.
Thanks for sharing.
Margo
What a story!
I remember when I used the microwave mainly for heating up water. Ha!
Those days are gone. I love the microwave.
26 years ago...those were monstrous sized microwaves that cost well over $400.00, compared to the garden variety $59.00 models we can get our hands on now.
Have a wonderful day!
Found you from Christa's blog...so nice to "meet" you! :) What a great story of "the early days"...what a sweet husband! AND...it was FUNNY! ;-)
Blessings,
Camille
Oh, yes, I can identify...........
never knew an appliance had so many crevices!
I think we've all had our microwave explosions! Fun story and somehow memories like that are the fabric we weave a family with.
I can't believe he cleaned up that mess.
Work from home India
Oh, bless your heart! I just got through reading Debbie's post and was laughing,...and forgive me, I am laughing again after visiting here! Have a happy Thanksgiving! blessings,Kathleen
Very funny story (now) but at the time it must have scared the heck out of you. I love that your husband cleaned it up, that was sweet of him.
That is a great story. That is one to tell the grandchildren. I knew you were an artist but I see short story telling in your future.
Hi - I found your blog on another I was looking at. Loved the egg story and the laundromat story. How funny. I remember those days. I have Mustang horses and at 71 am still riding and having a good time.
:-)
Should I mention that you can actually cook boiled eggs in a microwave? Maybe you already know that?
Here's the little gizmo that will do it. For four eggs, I zap it for 9and 1/2 minutes and take them out 25 minutes after the start. Your mileage may differ depending in your microwave:
NordicWare microwave egg cooker
Funny story, but sweet too.. lol
Oh my, that is too funny, Vickie!!Especially the part about finding the egg in places 5 years later!! You are a HOOT!
Post a Comment