Tuesday, January 5, 2010

WE HAVE AN EGGGG!!!

I know this is terribly random and silly, BUT WE HAVE A REAL LIVE CHICKEN EGG!  My little stray chicken at the farm has left me this beautiful light greenish egg to say THANK YOU for feeding her and taking her in!

I didn't know if she'd lay or not. She was kinda skinny-lookin' and VERY hungry. She comes running when she sees me now, but she won't let me get close enough to touch her. OR catch her.  I wanted to catch her because it's so cold right now and I was going to put her in the garden shed. BUT she evades me every time. I need a fishin' net.  I fixed her a nice thick box with hay and some fresh water, and chicken food on the front porch where it's definitely the warmest, and I hope she'll get in her box this week. It's supposed to be in the 20's and maybe even the teens come the later part of the week.  All you chicken people out there, do you think she'll make it in the cold temps?  She's been getting up under the front hedge on the south side of the house and making her  little nesty places with hay and leaves. I hope she'll be ok.


Here's another picture for comparison with a store-bought egg. It's supposed to be a large egg, so my little hen did okay. I guess she's probably a mongrel chicken, maybe? Maybe some Araucana in her to make the green eggs, whadaya'll think? I'm still learning about chickens...


Ok, I promise no more silly hen tacky.  I'm just so excited. I'm talking about getting me some more and building me a coop now, and Tony says, "no, Vickie, get the chickens off your mind." Sorry, dude - Not off my mind. I gotta have me some chickens.  It's probably cheaper to just buy eggs from the store or the lady down the road. But I want my own. Tony don't know even know he's beat yet...



15 comments:

Becky K. said...

Oh, my husband loves our chickens. Once Mikey was over the thrill of chicken "farming" I thought we would be done with chickens....Nope! They are Warren's babies and he loves them.

Chickens are remarkably weather resistant. I agree that she would be better off out of the wind and cold but it is amazing how much they can take. She probably has some small place that she roosts in that holds her body heat. They throw an amazing amount of heat. Make sure she can eat as much as she needs and she just might be ok.

I don't mind posts about chickens at all and I do hope this one keeps giving you beautiful eggs.

Becky K.

TxFarmhouse said...

Vickie, you better keep posting about your chicken..I love 'em! I agree, your little hen is a survivalist. She should find some place out of the cold and the wind. Put a big wad of hay where she usually lays and she'll build it around her. With a green egg, she's most likely an Aracauna or Americauna. I've learned there is a difference. The Americauna have a long neck. But they are some of the sweetest chickens. You can't help but get attached.
Stay warm this week..it's supposed to be a booger!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I have nothing to add, about your question. -le sigh- But surely wish you well, with taking care of your little friend.

I surely did enjoy your last post. And left a comment, on it. :-)

'Aunt Amelia'

LindaSue said...

eggstraordinary! It is exciting to get that first egg - we are putting hay in our chicken coop to give the cluckers a little more insulation and feeding them plenty. Hardest thing is water - I have to take down their water can and put it in workshop to thaw and put back in fresh - no practical way to warm the water inside their coop
I think you are doing fabulous with the wayfaring stranger and she has blessed you with an egg.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Yeaaaaaaa! You appreciated my post! >,-)

And when you send this video link to your husband, dad, brother, and two sons... Please add that you found it on the blog of a 72 year old Yankee. She who wishes she "could." But never had the chance. Livin' in Yankee Land and all that jazzzz, you know. >,-)

'Aunt Amelia'

Anonymous said...

Chickie now has chickens having chickies! I'm sure you'll take good care of your little chicken. Those little creatures know how to take care of themselves, and they lay in the strangest places, so watch their comings and goings. I've wanted chickens for years and the hub won't vote for it, either. ~sigh~ Have a great day!

Dolores said...

Vickie, I absolutely love reading about your chicken, she's a cute little chicken! I can imagine how exciting it was for you when you found the egg that she gifted to you.

The cold weather always makes me worry about the outside animals. Sounds to me like you've done all that you can to help her, and hopefully she'll find her box.

Stay warm!

Vee said...

What a lovely egg...so very much prettier than a store-bought one. I hope that she'll find her box and allow you to get a little closer. I'm sure that your hubby will come around once he discovers how good those fresh eggs taste.

Tracy said...

I love your post about the egg, that is exciting!
Guess not everyone is all in to chickens but I love them, I have had them for several years, only have 3 hens now. :-)
tracy

Leslie said...

How exciting! It is a beautiful egg. I just love keeping chickens and my husband likes them too. They really are not that much trouble and the entertainment (not to mention the eggs)they provide is worth it. I hope you keep up your chicken posts.

What you need is a chicken catcher. It is a long stiff wire with a bend on the end, like a hook. (look online to see what I mean) You can make one with a wire hanger. Give her a treat and when she gets close enough, you hook her leg and catch her that way. Sounds like she is doing a good job at keeping warm under the hedge but would be so much safer in the shed at night . Good thing she has a smaller comb because they can freeze in very cold temps. You can probably get her used to going into the shed at dusk on her own if you put her in there for a few days. She is such a lucky chicken to have found you.

Mrs. JP said...

As a matter of fact, my neighbor and I were commenting on how hardy chickens are. Her bunch roost outside when the temps are in the teens so I think your little hen will be fine. Congrats on the egg!!

the voice of melody said...

How very special! You can't get them any fresher than that even if you can get them cheaper at the store.

And thank you so much for coming to visit me and for leaving me a sweet comment. It's so nice to meet you! :)

Immigrant Daughter said...

I also want some chickens but will have to wait untiil I an get around better. Keep it coming about the chickens

Tara said...

Oh how funny! Wonder why it is that color?

Gail said...

And your own eggs will taste better than any egg you have ever had.