Well, another garden bites the dust (literally)! Garden of 2010 is officiallly over. Plowed up, scooped up, most of it dumped in the compost bin. We started composting this year. Burned the cornstalks and a little bit of other stuff. Cornstalks take too long to break down and the cobs take FOREVER. I'm thinking about a fall garden, but right now it's too blasted hot to even worry about it. We'll see, when August or September rolls around. Usually we have a nice long summer that runs into November sometimes. At least, our temps take a long, long time to cool off.
This little patch of dirt produced enough cucumbers to make about 3.5 quarts of pickles (and I even gave some away), green beans and purple hull peas to keep frozen for eatin' for awhile into the winter, onions and potatoes that we're still eatin' on, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, and serranos and GOBS of tomatoes that were turned into gallons and gallons of hot salsa (along with our peppers & onions). It's been a good year for the garden and given me so much pleasure in taking care of.
This fall promises to be extra busy as we start renovations and cosmetic work to our home. Me, myself and moi will be handling most of that. Once all done, we're putting it up for sale. It's almost time to permanently move to the farm. It's been about 3.5 years now since we got the farm and I'm so ready to get out there.
You know, I grow nostalgic thinking about selling our home. We've been in that home for 20+ years. Princess was a toddler when moved from our tiny little first home into this bigger house where we raised our kids. Adam and Josh were still quite young, too. I still see the scuff marks on the walls, the baseboards. The fingernail polish that Princess spilled still stains the vanity in the bathroom - tiny dots, but there nonetheless. There once was a tussle over something, I forget what, and there is a bedroom door that has a crack in it where one of the boys put a fist through it... When I look at the living room, I see where our Christmas tree has stood for 20+ Christmases and the nails under the mantle where the kids hung their stockings. And all the family pictures that are scattered throughout the house are still smiling back at me.
This house is going on 30 years old and it needs a little facelift. We've painted and replaced carpet a couple of times, re-wallpapered, and all the usual things that folks do their homes. The carpet has some stains that the cleaners couldn't get out from our family nights when we all ate pizza in the living room and watched movies together... or the kids had friends over. There's scratches on one of my kitchen walls where one of our dogs decided to find out what sheetrock did when you scratched at it... There is a hole banged in the laundry room wall where the doorstop finally gave out and the door knob started hitting the wall.
I can still see my boys in their bunk beds with their dinosaur bedspreads and my baby girl in her little rocking chair in her pink room rocking one of her baby dolls. We had so much fun here! We had a lot of great times here, me and the kids. I stayed home with them until the boys were in highschool and Princess was in Jr. High. I feel so fortunate to have been able to do that. We had our fusses and our tears, but more than that, we have a close-knit family and no matter what happened, we always stuck together and supported each other.
Our little pomeranian, Cookie, who we had for 13 years, is buried in a little wooden box in the backyard under the cedar tree. The big old hackberry tree in the corner of the backyard is just about dead. Lightning struck it and it split, but I can see the 3 story treehouse that my boys built and played in, scaring me to death when they pulled the trampoline nearby and jumped from the top floor of the treehouse onto the trampoline!
OUR house was where all the kids came to play, where the kids would invite their friends. I was the cool mom and we always had so much fun! Our grocery bill was enormous cuz I always had snacks and stuff for the kids. We had sleepouts and sleepovers here, too. The kids would drag all their sleeping bags out onto the trampoline and sleep out there. When I'd get up in the morning, they'd usually all be in the house! And Princess had to do whatever her big brothers did! They bounced her off the trampoline when she was about 7 or 8 and her arm got broken. So it was off to the emergency room...
Sooooo many memories. It's going to be SO hard when we sell this house and close the front door for the last time. I keep trying to tell myself that 'ITS JUST A HOUSE', but it's been our HOME. But HOME is where the heart is and our hearts are moving on. We'll be making new memories!
We've been gradually cleaning things out, throwing away, and boxing up to move. Most of our stuff is still here, but alot of it we've already disposed of. I'm hoping we can be done with our fix-ups before the holiday season starts, but that may be a little premature. Depends on the weather, schedules, etc. Tony and I will be alone for the first time since the kids were born (and we ARE excited about that - my mom says it's like a second honeymoon!). It's a sad time and a happy time! We've had a little taste of no-kids for a bit, but it will be permanent after we move. Tony and I are both looking forward to this big change in our lives, but I'm also a little sad. We can't keep two places, and it's time to move on.
Well, this post certainly took a direction of its own, didn't it??? I was going to show you alot of pictures here, but sadly they'll have to wait. One of 'em was a dead copperhead, so you probably don't wanna see that one anyway... I've taken too much of your time just reminiscing this afternoon. Guess I'm in that kind of mood...
Still haven't gotten to my peach cobbler yet. Have you seen Debbie Wisdom's blog? She had peach cobbler on there and a great recipe to try - I think you should pop on over to visit her! Nothin' like a warm fresh peach cobbler with ice cream on it in the summer time! I think that'll make me feel better! Don't you???
29 comments:
I was right there with you for every word...because I have lived all that too. Raising a big family of 8 kids was all that and it was the best.
Whats to come will be awesome too, each stage of our lives is wonderful. One day those kids will bring home mates and grand children and you will be the happiest person ever! Good luck with everything :D
Oh my ..... I didn't think your post was going to make me cry so much..... but goodness, it brought back so many wonderful and sad memories for me.
Your home sounds like our home 20 years ago..... we've downsized, and I love it, but all the changes brought many a tear..... especially when our grown children or grandchildren start remembering 'the old home'......they always say they love our new home too, but..... memories ...memories....and aren't we thankful for wonderful memories!
Pass the peach cobbler and ice cream....
I know exactly what you are saying. At least your are going somewhere you already know and love.
Our home was the one all the kids gathered at too (and I know what you mean about the food bills!) I will always miss that house.
I will have all three of my boys in this house at the same time (for the first time) next month - I can't wait!
Houses hold so many memories. Glad that you have somewhere that you are truly looking forward to moving into.
At least you know where you are going when you sell it! We haven't figured that out yet! I will enjoy watching your process....
I know what ya mean about being ready for the farm. I am past ready! We hope to have our house on the market offically next month but, I wouldn't say no if someone wanted it today.
home is where the heart is...and where ever you are is home...
Homes are filled with memories but you can take those with you. It'll be sad but exciting to start a new adventure!
Manuela
Bittersweet time for sure. You sure sound organized, though, and that's going to make it all the easier. The time is good for making changes. It'll be a blessing to have that income from the sale of your home and it'll be good to be on the farm! I'm so surprised that the summer garden has had the biscuit. Guess that Texas heat is brutal.
I think that it is lovely how you are making these changes in stages. You have many memories at the farm already....that is cool! I related in many ways to what you said, although we have never lived in a house more than seven years. I still cried when we left our last house.
Interesting and exciting times are ahead for you.
Becky K.
I know Texas heat is brutal--our summers here in Arkansas are too, but I still love summertime and gardens! My petunias have bitten the dust--I love their delicate scent, but I just can't grow them!
I can relate to the ambivalence about children leaving home. I dreaded it for several years before it happened. The empty house is lonely at times, but we live near grandkids, so I stay pretty busy. I am ready to give up our bigger two-story house! It's just too much to keep up--so I hope we can move in the next couple of years--a smaller house with less upkeep! Ok, I'm gonna go check out that peach cobbler recipe! V.
Thanks for stopping in at my blog! I appreciate your comment.
I know you will miss your present house a bit, but the memories made there will go with you and join new ones to be made at the new home. How exciting to be moving to a new home on a great looking farm...enjoy! I look forward to future pictures of your new home.
Take care,
Cheryl
Those are very special memories, Vickie. Thanks for sharing them with us. You will now have the opportunity to make new ones at the farmhouse in this new season of your life. May God bless your endeavors.
Blessings, Lorie
R.I.P., Dear Garden of 2010!
Wow, a move. Bitter sweet. You so want it. You also are leaving memories.
But....... You can take memories with you. And make new ones.
Gentle hugs...
Aren't you thankful that you have keep all these wonderful memories here to pass on to family and friends. I personally can't wait to see what new memories you make in your new place since the one you are leaving behind is so beautiful.
Hugs,
Mal
Hi Vickie, we went thru this all in 2003. Only it was clear outa state. Not an easy thing, but just keep looking ahead. Everythibg will turn out all right.
Hi Vickie, we went thru this all in 2003. Only it was clear outa state. Not an easy thing, but just keep looking ahead. Everythibg will turn out all right.
You worked your garden like a true farm girl. Can't wait to see what you do for Fall.
Margo
Letting go and moving on is always bittersweet. You are leaving a wonderful home with lots of great memories behind, but you are moving toward a place that you love... that will continue to grow more wonderful memories. It'll be time to plant the fall garden before you know it. =)
Its just a house may be alright for those that buy there houses just to fill them with the lastest and greatest stuff with, but for us they are our homes, were our families could come together to laugh, cry, heal, and just be ourselves with no one to judge. A safe haven from a world that can sometimes not be so nice.
I had a little cry reading your post and can feel all that you feel. My own children are approaching the ages were they may soon move on, but luckily I will still be here on our little piece of heaven and the door will always be open for them to come home.
Bless you
And I am still waiting for the first of everything!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
Ahh I love this post. You did such a great job of writing about your memories. I almost cried when you said your dog cookie is buried there.
It will be so hard to move from the house, but the good thing is all your memories will go with you.
Your garden sure gave you alot of good things this year. I bet you hate to see it come to an end. We didn't do a big garden this year, just a couple of zuchinni plants and 2 tomato plants. I miss the big garden, but my back wasn't up to it.
Vicki, just focus on future memories with grandkids. Won't it be neat to have the farm for them to all gather at? I would have loved it as a kid!
Sometimes I forget just how hot TX can get. I literally had to learn how to garden all over when I moved to the CA mountains. It's so weird to be growing tomatoes in August instead of May/June, but mine are just now coming on the vine and won't be ready until September.
Stay cool!
Ok, so I sit down to FINALLY do some blogging. I start out reading your post and agreeing with you about the garden and the heat, then I am crying about your house memories AND now....thank you very much, I AM HUNGRY for peach cobbler and ice cream!
Love you though.
HUGS,
tara
Well, all good things must come to an end. I pulled up all my tomato plants today, except for one. Actually, it's time NOW to plant tomatoes for fall. I may try some again. However, I am very happy that you had a good harvest season! Brin gave me the book The Joy of Jams and Jellies and Other Sweet Preserves. Looks like such fun to try -- things like watermelon jelly, eggplant jelly --can you imagine?!?
Thanks for the recognition in your post. That cobbler is gone! Yum!
Oh I can tell that home of yours will always be "home" in your heart and memory. I can also tell you're already in love with your "new" old home, the farm. Rather melancholy post Vickie, and sweet.
Another one bites the dust! Glad mine is not the only one. I just have some okra left. Hubby, please bring the plow..........
I know what you mean........it is extremely hot here as well. I want to do a fall garden.......but my job has me just a bit too worn out.......When we moved away from our home in town to our now home here in the country.......I felt as if we were abandoning and old friend. Our home in town had seen
20 years of our life as a family develop. Loved your post. blessings,Kathleen
Awwww.... Vickie... this made me cry a few tears. I know how I felt when Hubby and I moved from our first little home to the one we live in now... even though we didn't live there but for just a few years, I was still very sad. It was the house we started our life together in, spent our honeymoon night in, had our first Christmas, the phone in the kitchen was the one that rang the night my Mom passed away... *sigh*
Well here I go- I'll just shut up now. *grin*
Hugs to you, Vickie- I know it will be hard but I have a feeling you will LOVE your new "farm life"!
Post a Comment