Hey, all you wonderful friends out there in blogland!!!
My husband and I are planning a getaway to California in the near future! We're going to fly into LA, rent a car and drive up the coast to San Francisco (with a little side detour to San Juan Capistrano). Tell me what we need to see! We're not into fancy expensive stuff - but inns, B&Bs, hotels, restaurants, beachy stuff, the usual points of interest? Art, other missions, museums?
Do we want to mess with Hollywood and all that? I'm kinda thinkin.... ehhh...
Do we want to visit the Carmel area? I've heard there's lots of artsy-fartsy stuff there and since I paint, that might a good place to stop...
Malibu beach? or is there another nice beach area?
Drive up Hwy 1 of course...
Going to take in Napa Valley/vineyards area...
Points of interest in San Francisco - GGBridge, Fisherman's Wharf...
I've never been to Cali, so I'm really looking forward to doing that. We thought about a long road trip, but started adding the fuel and lodging and food costs and it was alot cheaper to fly.
Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks so much!!!
EDITED TO ADD: OOOOO-WEEEE! I'm getting such great suggestions already! Keep 'em coming!
21 comments:
Hi Vickie!
Have a great time! I can't give you any advise since I've only been to Disney Land! My daughter and my mother both LOVE San Fransisco!
Be safe - many blessings to you!
Hugs,
Barb
Dear Vickie, I lived the majority of my life in northern Ca. so you definitely have some fun things to do. By all means go to Carmel, if you are driving up the coast. Monterey has a beautiful wharf area too. I love San Francisco but you really need to head north to the wine country-even if you don't drink. Sonoma County-specifically Glen Ellen and Sonoma are well worth the drive; Napa, Calistoga and St. Helena are incredible too. Have a wonderful trip-skip Hollywood and travel north.
Noreen
Moro Bay on highway 1. Lovely place. Before you head up the coast go to Balboa Pier at Balboa Beach.(Close to Newport Beach right there south of LA) Eat at Ruby's on the end of the pier. So fun and a real California beach experience. Warm there. The beaches get colder and wetter as you go north. Rent bikes and ride out on the Golden Gate Bridge. SO fun! Lovely ride from the Fisherman's Wharf. Eat lots of clam chowder in bread bowls for me! Have an awesome and wonderful trip! Be made the same trip two years ago. One of our absolute favorite times. Blessings.
You are going to LOVE it!! I highly recommend the drive down HWY 1 to Monterrey and Carmel by the Sea. And, ALL of San Francisco! Love everything I have ever done or seen there! blessings ~ tanna
Ooooh~ that sounds exciting, Miss Vickie! I wouldn't know where to start on a trip like that.... I'll bet the food is really something!
(If you see Matthew McConaughey while you're there, will you stick him in your suitcase and send him to me? *hehe*)
You are going to have a blast....
I would suggest the 17 mile drive in Monterrey you can pack a picnic lunch and stop anywhere to enjoy the beach and views. Carmel is very artsy and I think you will enjoy it. Clint Eastwood has a restaurant there. There a lot of sweet cottage style homes to see.
I also agree with Noreen...
Can't wait to see your photo's and read all about your trip.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth
Oh yes!! Loved Hwy 1, Carmel, Monterey, actually all of it!!!
Have a great the time on your vacation! I will be taking off for a few days in my new (to me) little RV and hopefully do some painting! Check out my new blog "Changing Lanes" when you get a chance. Hope to be in touch more now.
We love California (for visits only) and you'll have such a great time there!!!!!! Just be careful. Can't wait to see pictures from the trip!! Take photos for us blog buddies!
Lana
www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com
Love Northern Calif It's a Fun place to visit,been there many times had family who lived in the
San Diego area for years,check out
the Internet for interesting places
to see..Been to Fisherman's Wharf
years ago.. awesome seafood...Nape
Valley is Beautiful..take lots of
photos' to share !!
Enjoy your trip and have
a safe one...
Blessings/Hugs
Trish-Ladybug
http://www.scomas.com/
One of the VERY best restaurants I've eaten in - pricey yes but wonderful experience.
http://www.ghirardellisq.com/
chocolate - Ghiradelli is all about chocolate.
http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/visitors/Pages/default2.aspx Santa Rosa is a little north of San Francisco - fun town and good spot to stay and visit in wine country (cause wine country is kind pricey!)
Santa Cruz - not as fancy schmancy as Carmel but a wonderful beach town
http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/index.aspx?page=7
Plenty of places to go and see - most of California from north of LA up is drive and stop to see places
Stay safe and carry some good gospel tracts with ya! LOL
Enjoy...that is the only suggestion I can come up with.
I'm soooo excited for you!!!! No suggestions from me....... We've only been to San Francisco and Los Angeles...... I'd NEVER want to live there..... but sure enjoyed our time there.
Fun, Fun, Fun! Can't wait to hear all about it.
hugs, tara
Point Lobos in San Francisco and Muir Woods are a must-see in my mind. Have a wonderful time!
I've never been to the West coast so I'll just say 'bon voyage' and wait to see the pictures!
Be careful!
Deb
I know nothing about California, but I sure do wish you and your husband a marvelous time! Take lots of pictures!
What fun! We lived in LA area in the 80's. I would skip the Hollywood stuff. Just get off the plane and head north. It's all good. I love San Francisco... go in the Ferry Building. We stayed across the street.. a Hyatt? or Hilton? Take a jacket!
Thank you Dear One, for your concern, during Hurricane Irene!
Have a lovely holiday!
Oh CA. Only visited once, with our daughter and son-in-law. Saw Napa Valley, for one thing.
Stayed at an Inn, where they served Champagne for Breakfast! *Loverly* idea! -giggles-
HAVE FUN!!!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
Post a Comment