Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas At Our Little Farmhouse...

I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the holiday tunnel.  All but a smidgeon of shopping is done and wrapped, all parties have been attended including church parties, visits have been made to friends, and now we're in count-down mode.  Our big family get-together is next weekend on Friday.  The sister and her family and my two available kids and their "others" are going to be here. Well, actually at Mom & Dad's.

I've been looking at all your Christmas decorations and wish that I had room for some more...but we're doing good to have space for our tree!  Also, I just don't have space to store Christmas decorations at this little place.  So we are pretty sparse on decor right now. I opted for my artificial tree this year instead of a real one. It's pretty slim and I needed slim.


I've been reading some of your blogs about getting sparkles on your Christmas lights. I got a few on my tree in the photos but I have no idea how I did it, and I couldn't find my strainer... Vee explains it all...



Our ornaments are a combination of the kids' homemade ones, and my mom and me both got a new ornament for each of them every year and they're all dated with their names on them.  I cannot throw out those fragile frayed little ornaments made from cork and milk bottle lids and pipe cleaners. They are precious!

And my little fireplace and my old painting print...


And my cute little Putz house, rather church, that I got at Marshall's - it's a pale green, it's hard to tell, but it is SO cute!  I love it.  I was going to make one or some, but I think I'm running out of time now... This one even lights up.

They had some white ones, too, but they weren't near as cute - maybe I'll run across another one someplace if I don't get to make one.  I need some fluffy snow and stuff around it...


Here is my pie safe in my little bitty kitchen.  I've got some of my candles from Becky at Hospitality Lane - they are great soy candles and they've been burning since I got 'em before Thanksgiving. It smells like I've been preparing holiday yummies for the last month!

I got a box of goodies off to the Kiwi Kids this week.  Think I paid close to $60 to ship a small box of gift items to Josh and Lindsey in New Zealand.  By the way, on my sidebar, there's a picture and a link to the kids' blog, Adventures in New Zealand.  Please go over and check them out.  Lindsey is doing a great job of writing - I feel like I'm right there with them!  And they are taking such wonderful pictures of the beauty there. I hope Tony and I are able to go for a visit next spring sometime.  They need some followers, guys!  They hope to keep up the blog with pictures and then have it printed when they get back to have a record of their adventure. That would be a great keepsake.

Well, peace out!  
Keep your holiday dress down!


21 comments:

Becky K. said...

Oh your tree is so pretty!! We don't have one up yet and I really need to make sure that it happens for the sake of my dear daughter. It will be small and simply dressed because hubby doesn't want to drag all of the decorations down from storage for a week or two. I understand...so I'm thinking pine cones, popcorn and cranberry strands.

Thanks for mentioning my candles!! Hugs!!

Debbie said...

Everything in your home looks lovely. Your little putz house is one of my favorites! And your rooster on top of your hutch is just wonderful. So warm and cozy! Have a wonderful Christmas. I've put your kids on my follow list. :D
Debbie

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Your decorations are perfect, for your perfect little house. "Auntie sezzzzzzz"!!! :-)

"Close by the jolly fire I sit
To warm my frozen bones a bit.

~~Robt. Louis Stevenson

Linda Jo said...

Your tree is beautiful...as well as your mantle, and well.... all of it! I'm enjoying a slimmer tree these days. I like to be able to say I have SOMETHING that is slim. ha! Have a Merry Christmas. I'm off to check out the kiwi kids!

Gail said...

Your decorations are beautiful.

Lana said...

Vickie --- Everything is so beautiful!!!!! I love your tree and it looks PERFECT there at the window with the lace curtains!!! I love your place. I will be so happy to have my little cabin in the woods and no longer have to worry about heating/cooling this home that feels too big since my daughters are grown!!! :-( But, we adjust. I am sadly lacking far behind in my Christmas preparations, but you know where we've been this past week. Actually, my family can't get together again until January, so we're having a "Christmas in January."

I look forward to reading the kiddos blog. Right now, I'm getting ready to head out the door to go to my sister's house for our family Christmas party. Tomorrow we go to my brother-in-law's house for my husband's family's Christmas party. So, I probably won't be able to do much reading this weekend, but I plan on having a blog reading marathon this coming week!!!! I look forward to catching up!!!!

Hugs for the Christmas Holidays from my family to yours!!!!

Lana :-)

angela said...

your tree looks lovely, I too have decorations the kids made while little and I cannot part with them. Every year they tell me to throw them out but Im sure one day in the not too distant future they will appreciate them. will pop over and follow your kids nz blog.

Mrs. JP said...

All of our decorations are things we love too. I think that's the best part of decorating, looking at precious things from the past. Going to see your kids blog now!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I love ALL your decorations, Vickie! Your header is just beautiful too!
I can so relate to the pet "issues", having adopted my mom's elderly cat in addition to the two I already have. Youngest daughter and her 2 yr. old son are also living with us and she brought her little Papillon puppy with her! So we now have 3 dogs and 3 cats. Oh, I almost forgot my son's two outside dogs in the backyard! Thank heavens we live in the country, but I think we are going to fence a small yard in front of the house to keep the dogs safely enclosed (there are coyotes out here)! Of course when it is too cold, we'll let them in to sleep and the Papillon is too small to stay out, but it would be a great relief to me!
Wishing you a peaceful, joyful Christmas!
V

Tanna said...

Everything looks wonderful, Vickie. Just wonderful! I'll be heading over to check out your Kiwis! ;) blessings ~ tanna

Julie Harward said...

The pics of your tree are SO beautiful that it doesn't look real!!! Gorgeous. I can't wait to get into a small home, I've had it with big homes. Have a Merry Christmas. :D

Karen Carter said...

It all looks so beautiful and serene! Such a nice change from the dead animal posts : )
I am glad I found your blog and wish you a Merry Christmas from a far away cyber friend. Hugs Karen~

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Btw, just had to tell you.... I don't even have to spy your cute Icon pic, to know from whom your comments come. Your comments are so cute and spry and...... Well, dare I say, kinda-"Auntie-ish"? -giggles-

Like your; "...maybe I caught a "virus/bug" from my computer!" Seeee? Cute and funny. :-)

Gentle Christmas hugs,

"Christmas won't be Christmas
without any presents."


~~Opening line of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women"

Vee said...

Even though you didn't find your tea strainer, you still achieved great stars! (I added your tree to my list...it's so pretty!)

Everything looks delightfully cozy and welcoming. Becky's candles are wonderful. I'm still burning my pumpkin one and it fakes us out pretty well.

A wonderful Christmas to you and yours (if I don't have the chance to say so before then)!

TinaTx said...

It all looks wonderful. My tree is full of all the kids ornaments too, just the way I like it!
Merry Christmas!

Sandy said...

Everything looks blissfully cozy! I love your tree, my favorite kind, with all those special memories. I have all my kids hand made ornaments too, aren't they wonderful? Thank you for sharing your pretty holiday at the farm!

Paula said...

Oh, Vickie~ everything looks so beautiful and festive!! Your tree looks so wonderful, too.
I love the term Kiwi Kids... *hehe*... that is too cute.
(Only you could come up with something like that! *giggle*)
Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas, dear friend!

KathyB. said...

I remember the days I paid to ship things to our daughter in Australia, pricey, but cheaper than an airline ticket. I love seeing the pictures of them in Kiwi-land. I think New Zealand must be one of the more beautiful places on earth. What an adventure for them.

Your place is perfect! Your life seems in many ways similar to mine. Friday night we are hosting my sisters & their families here for our annual Christmas get-together.Family is precious and time together is a gift isn't it?

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Just beautiful...just like I would envision a farm house to look...filled with life memories and yet room for new ones with the changes of life

Love the sock monkey ornament...we added sock monkeys this year because Benjamin loves monkeys

Merry Christmas..from one Texas girl to another

Margo said...

It all looks so cozy and beautiful. I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas and a Happy New year. See you soon.
Margo

Dolores said...

Oh Vickie, your home, decorations and your tree are so warm and beautiful......I'm heading over to your daughter's blog, can't wait to see pictures and follow her. New Zealand iwas my favorite trip!

Merry Christmas my sweet friend!