Monday, February 13, 2012

Hints of Spring

The daffodils are out all over town, the tulip trees are blooming (I'll try to get some photos of that soon, too) and I can tell that spring is right around the corner here in East Texas.  Sure didn't feel like spring today tho.
Plum and peach trees budding...
Iris coming out...
Tail-end of my pansies...
Tiger lilies coming up...
We had a quick blast of cold last night.  Rain, 24 degrees Saturday night, 30 degrees last night, and strong winds.  That's about the extent of it for now.  By Wednesday we're supposed to have temps in the 70's again.  I sure hope so - I need to start getting things outside cleaned up around here.  Flower beds need new mulch and weeds pulled.  You know all that little spring green rye and purple flowery thingies?  They are coming up every where.  Tony already mowed once!
Garden is plowed and ready to go!
See what I scored in the dumpster at my office?  YES!  One can always use another birdbath!


Gypsy came a runnin' when I went outside.  She was sopping wet, and of course her being an Aussie mix, she had to "lean" all over me.  My jeans were muddy and wet, but I guess I knew that before I went outside.  She's a sweetie.  She had to roll over for a (wet and muddy) belly rub...
Tomorrow promises to be beautiful and clear - too bad I have to work.  I've gotta get my square foot garden beds constructed - Dad's gonna help me - just a few and then my row crops. I've already got my onion starts.  Dad's already set his out.
Ok, well that's all for today.  Keep yer dress down!

16 comments:

Michelle said...

This looks so good. We are expecting some sleet tonight. Boo!

Shug said...

It really was a blast of cool air...My hubby has really been worried about the buds popping out everywhere. guess he is afraid we will have a freeze and mess things up. Hopefully not!
Yep, time to get those onions in the ground..
have a good evening..
shug

Anonymous said...

Here in GA, we had a blast of cold and brutal wind over the weekend. Our trees are beginning to bud and lots of jonquils, crocus etc. up. Gypsy is a beautiful dog. We have my late mom's mini wire haired dachshund - one advantage is that she can't jump very high on us to get us muddy!!!

Vee said...

Everything is so bright and green! It certainly is amazing to see the differences around the country. Hope that warmer weather returns so you can get a great head start on everything. Warmer weather for us as well, though that means back to the 30s. ;) It's all relative.

Gypsy is such a love!

Sunny said...

Yes Spring is on the way. Seeing robins up my way and daffodills heading out.Love your *new* birdbath! My daughter once got a whole Living room set near a dumpster! (yeh, the same one that target practices ;-))

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I'm so done with winter and gray, bleak days! I can't wait to get out and work in my flowerbed and get some sunshine! That birdbath was a lucky find! I planted some succulents in one of mine last summer!
Gypsy looks like a sweet companion--my dogs love to go out with me! Have a great week!
V

myletterstoemily said...

your gypsy is beautiful . . . and so is your
hair! reminds me of farrah fawcett, who
i tried very hard to copy, but never could.

LindaSue said...

we had snow last night - almost all melted now - not putting much in the ground this year - containers easier for us to manage watering now that we are on a watermeter (holy cow - first time in YEARS I am not on a well!) Bought some shallots to plant - going to pick up potato starts to put in tubs and maybe some rhubarb for one corner of the yard??

Tanna said...

LOVE that bird bath find!! How great is that??????????????! Yes, I see spring popping out all over! Don'tcha just love East Texas! blessings ~ tanna

Linda Jo said...

Good old east Texas. love it... Gypsy is adorable!!! Happy Valentine's Day!

Paula said...

Goodness, Vickie~ I can't believe how green it is there! I'm really jealous, everyhting here is still BROWN. *UGH*
Love your dumpster-diving trophy- Yay!
Miss Gypsy is such a cutie-pie... You need to get some sheep for her to herd. *hint*
My dress is down for now! *haha*

angela said...

How exciting is the promise of spring. Here too the wheel has turned and I can feel autumn in e air. It's still hot but in the mornings there is frost on the car and a definite bite in the air.

Deborah said...

I just spotted you in Mia Landliv's comments. I enjoyed reading what you wrote to her! Our son and his family just moved to San Antonio and they love it. Your blog is lovely and I'm going to continue to read it. Take care. Deb.

Dolores said...

Not much of a winter, but I love spring..... so I'm trying not to rush things, just in case we have a late freeze.

My Mountain Laurels are in full bloom.... so pretty and they smell heavenly.

Your Gypsy is a beautiful dog!

Sharon said...

I sure wish we had signs of spring around here.
Love the photos.
Hugs

Leaon Mary said...

Vickie,
I've been catching up with you and had to tell you how much I love your lil Gypsy girl!! She's sooo pretty and I adore the pic of her sittin in YOUR spot! haha That is so funny. Least she's keeping watch right? What a faithful friend.
The pictures of robins are delightful and have me longing for Spring. I have the fever bad.
Hope all is well with your family. I'm praying for your kidlets. Oh and I.. I can't believe you scored that birdbath. Love the red hutch too!!! Wreeeetwreeew! It's a beaut!!!Lea