Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Week Past...

Welllll....., as you can see, I am in the egg production business now.  Seven of my 9 hens are now officially laying - some eggs smaller than others, but nevertheless, laying.  We are excited!  Well, I am, my husband just looks at me and rolls his eyes and smiles!  He just won't admit it!  We're getting 5-6 eggs a day from those seven pullets - they're about 6-7 mos old now... Mom and Dad are happily accepting eggs from us, and I imagine I'll have even a few more to give away or sell.  


We went to my beautiful niece's wedding this past weekend. An outside wedding, it was only 95 degrees and the same number humidity. Why, oh why, do people wanna get married OUTSIDE in the middle of the summer in TEXAS!!!  We were dripping wet (including my underwear!) within being there about 15 minutes.   BUT, I have to say, the bride and groom did a short service and it was so sweet, totally worth the few minutes in the heat - it was lovely!  And we wouldn't have missed it for the world!  I loved that they printed the programs on little old-timey looking hand fans for all the guests - and you can bet your booty there was some fannin' goin' on! The reception was outside, too, but it was a bit cooler and later in the evening.  My sister and her husband threw a good old Texas barbecue with all the trimmings for the reception and dancing for the kids, no alcohol, and a great time was had by all!

My nephew, Clay, was able to come home for the wedding - wow, has he grown up.  He'll be getting out of the Navy in the spring - four years... it went by fast.  He's been all over the world in the Navy - probably some places we don't even know about.  They were stationed in the Persian gulf at times, but it's so good to have him stateside now.  One more short voyage and then he'll be out.  He plans on continuing his education here in Texas at an as yet to be determined university.  I love this kid, um young man - we be buddies!  Here, he escorts his mama, my sister, down the aisle... She looks beautiful...



  My beautiful red-headed niece and her proud daddy...


Me, my sister and my mama at the wedding.  These are such precious people in my life.  My sister is my bestest friend in the whole world, and my mama is, too!  We can really get into some trouble when we hang out together!


Here's a little picture of my crooked flag-pole and my bunting that I put out for July 4th.  I think it looked purdy.   It's gotten so hot in Texas now, the grass is getting crunchy and my flowers are suffering.  We had several pretty good rains early on, but now it's getting summer's usual dry days with the grasshoppers eating everything in sight and the locusts humming in the stillness.  My yard has turned to sugar sand, the grassburrs are popping up everywhere and if you walk across the yard, you might break your ankle if you step in a mole run.  Summer in East Texas... The bahia grass is knee-high, too - why, oh, why did Texas A&M think bahia grass was such a great thing...
I'm doing alot of moaning today, aren't I?  Why, oh why...


Well, guess that's all for now.  I hope you're all enjoying your summer days.  I could sure use some days on the beach... with cool water just a few feet away... and not a care in the world.....

Keep your dress down.


13 comments:

Lana said...

Such festivities! You, your mom and your sister are all beautiful! The porch looks great. Try to stay cool --- I'm not doing too much outside right now, just my daily visits with the chickens.

Lana

Dolores said...

Wow, beautiful family!!!! Beautiful bride, your mom, sister and you!!!!!

The eggs are so colorful....I'm visualizing you with a little stand on the side of the road selling eggs. Lol!

Your porch is so pretty and inviting.
Praying for rain......

Vee said...

Heat and HUMIDITY do that to a gal! I'm a mess when the temps get that miserable. And it's nothing like Texas.

What a beautiful wedding...glad that you were able to keep your dress down given the description. Ha!

Gosh, your parents sure did make some beautiful daughters. You sisters are some pretty gals now I'll tell ya.

I think I remember when this nephew went into the service...four years gone by in a flash. I'm sure that it wasn't true for him, though.

Yay for laying hens! If I lived closer, I'd love to buy some fresh eggs in all those pretty colors. You can start doing the shrimp routine from Forrest Gump only substituting egg dishes for shrimp ones, soon. I'm sure that's what Tony's worried about.

Sharon said...

What beautiful photos of the wedding and your family.
I wish I was closer to buy some good old farm eggs.
Have a wonderful weekend and try to stay cool.'
Hugs

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

We were at a friend's house last night..yes right in the middle of DFW and their chickens were laying eggs also at four months...they were so excited...we got to see it first hand

Wedding...how beautiful! Oh my!! Just wonderful...even in Texas heat!

jean said...

The wedding look like it was lovely! At least, it didn't rain : ) I lived in Texas for 9 years and loved it. I do remember the heat and humidity, though.

TinaTx said...

Wish I were close enough to take a few of those eggs off your hands! :)
I am with you - outside wedding in the middle of a Texas summer? At least they kept it short! And what a beautiful bride.
Your front porch looks wonderful. I still miss mine. :(

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Well hi there Vicki and thanks so much for being a new follower to my blog. Here in Illinois we hit 107 yesterday so I can actually say...Texas msut be nice being so cool and all. Love your blog. I'll be back!

Barb said...

Hi Vickie!

I love weddings!! The bride was beautiful...and so were you! What a cute picture of you, your sis and your mama!

I love the bunting - just looks like Texas! It has been really hot here too - expected to be almost 100 degrees by Wednesday...that's hot for Idaho, I hope my poor garden survives it!

Pray for rain!

Hugs,
Barb

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

The wedding photos are beautiful. Your niece looks gorgeous in her dress. You are so lucky to have your mom and sister so close. Thanks so much for sharing and for visiting.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Beautiful porch! So glad your chickens are laying! What a beautiful wedding!

Paula said...

What a bee-yu-tiful wedding, Miss Vickie!
Your eggs are so pretty... doesn't it feel great to have your own chickies? *giggle*
(Love the front porch, by the way... so gorgeous!)

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh I am so envious of your eggs. I want my girls to lay so badly but they are four months now so I guess I still have some waiting to do.