Next stop on our whirlwind swing through New England -- Portland, Maine. We traveled up the coast from Boston on through the very tip of New Hampshire and on into Maine. One of my art buddies is from New Hampshire and knew the area well. She lives in my hometown now and we paint together. Sorry, I digress.... Anyway, she had told me that we needed to stop at Nubble Light, or Cape Neddick Lighthouse. We deliberately made a stop there to see the lighthouse. SO glad we did!
Here is as far north as I've ever been, and it was windy and bone-chilling cold!!! And it was October! The little town of Cape Neddick or York was almost deserted. You could really tell it's a summer town with all the cute little cottages and seaside flair~~~~
On to our next stop!!! Now, let me set this up... A secret bloggie friend and I had decided that we should meet up on our trip through New England. My dear friend chose a lovely place for lunch for Tony and I and for her and her husband. I won't tell you where because we like being secretive that way, but it was absolutely PERFECT - a lovely little New England town with churches, cottage homes, and the eatery was located ON the lake!
Oh yeah - and TONS of antique places all along the way throughout New England!!! I tell you what, my daughter and I decided that we should rent us an 18-wheeler and drive up there and make us a HAUL of antiques & junk to bring back home to Texas!
CA-YUTE little Inn below...
Behind the cafe, a beautiful lake - it was kinda foggy and misty, but it was still great!!!
I'll just let you look...
Isn't this a sweet place to eat??? It was so good. I had a real live Reuben Sandwich - complete with sour kraut! That's a rare thing in Texas and let me tell ya - I've got a hankerin' for another'n. Wonder where I could get a real genuine Reuben around here?
Had to get a pic of this little house right next door to the cafe. I love yellow cottage-style houses - my house is this color. This looks so cozy~~~
Another shot of the lake - wouldn't you just LOVE to live here!
Now, you wanna know who my bloggie friend is that met up with me???
VEE ~~~ THAT'S WHO!
She and I have been buddies for about 4 years now. She was one of my first blog friends and has been attentive and faithful to check on me and stay in touch. If you know her, you know that she's a real sweetheart, a dear Christian woman, wife, mother and Nonni. Now I get to love her smile, too! I lost count of how many hugs we gave each other. Her husband, John, is a dear man - He's so FUNNY! He and Tony, my husband, really enjoyed visiting with each other, too - together, they solved all the nation's problems and mysteries of the universe.
I dearly would have loved to spend the whole day with them and I hope they'll get to visit us here in Texas someday! Vee & John, are you listening???
I must gush for a minute... Vee is exactly the person she is on her blog - that's the person that became my dear blog friend, and just meeting in the flesh sealed the deal! You get to know someone online and you fall in love with that personality, that spirit, the essence of that online friend, and so when I met her in person, all I wanted to do was just give her a huge hug! So good meeting you, Vee, at last!
She came bearing gifts, too - a beautiful handmade-by-Vee table runner that is perfect for my kitchen - she picked out fabric with apples on it - it's perfect! My kitchen clock has apples on it and I'm phasing out the pink stuff and bringing in more RED. I now am the proud owner of one of her hand-stitched-with-love sewing needle keepers, too! I have a card of needles that belonged to my Nanny, and they are now lovingly protected in the felt-lined interior. A cute magnet for my fridge that she made, too! And a couple of items that were totally New England - a balsam filled pillow with a Lobster on the front (smells SOOO good) and TWO HUGE CHOCOLATE WHOOPIE PIES! Yum! My new favorite dessert! Thank you, thank you, thank you, VEE! Promise to do a post about these little gifts and show you pictures!
Well, I guess I'll end here for now... spending the night somewhere in Maine! Next on our agenda, we head west into the White Mountains of New Hampshire! Absolutely gorgeous!
Keep yer dress down!
26 comments:
It is a wonderful thing to meet up with blog friends and find them as or more endearing in person than in blogland!! Vickie, the photo in your header just takes my breath away! Your photos and stories are making me want to put the NE on my bucket list! blessings ~ tanna
Oh, Vickie~ your pictures are making me want to go there SO BAD! I've always wanted to visit New England in the fall... *sigh*
So glad you got to meet a blog friend along the way too... that had to be pretty neat!
I was hoping, hoping, hoping that it was Vee that you were meeting up with. One of these days I want to meet She and John, as well. Maybe they will read this and decide to come on vacation to Lancaster County....hint, hint.
By the way, You and Tony should come our way, as well. No hinting...juat saying! smile.
You got wonderful photos. I can imagine you painting from them....
Awww, you say the sweetest things. I'm glad that you enjoyed our little corner. Love to you...
I was in Portland years ago and have fond memories of my visit. Your pictures are beautiful and do it justice!
Hi Vickie,
I am visiting from Vee's blog. I have been a blog friend of Vee's forever. It is nice to meet you!
Penny
Hi Vickie! I popped over from Vee's blog. I have not been following her for nearly as long as you have, but oh how I enjoy her. How fun to have met her...loved hearing the story. What gorgeous pictures you took! What a pretty place to see, and meeting Vee had to make it just about perfect!
Oh I forgot....your art work is soo good! How talented you are!
I'm also visiting from Vee's blog.
Looks like a wonderful trip and one made even nicer by meeting a dear blogging friend in person. Somehow I would picture Vee to be just as she seems on her blog.
Lovely pictures from your trip. I, too, love yellow houses especially with white picket fences.
Hi Vickie, I'm visiting from Vee's blog too. I live next door to Maine in the province of New Brunswick, Canada but I haven't met Vee yet. I hope to do that some day. Love your pictures of down east. It is a beautiful place to visit and we do travel there fairly often. I have yet to see the Nubble Lighthouse though! Glad you are enjoying your trip. Safe travels to you!
What a fabulous trip...and that really is icing on the cake to meet our sweet Vee. Lovely photo of the 2 of you! Love all the hugs you gave her! We Southern girls LOVE to HUG! ; )
It was fun to read about your adventures in New England and meeting up with Vee. I've had the fun privilege to meet some bloggy friends here and there and it's always a good experience. Blessings to y'all in Texas! My brother and his family live in Dallas...I live in the Seattle area...
I, too, am visiting from Vee's Haven today! How exciting to meet a blogging friend! And I am delighted--but not at all surprised--that you found Vee to bethe same sweet soul that she is on her blog.
Beautiful photographs of lovely New England. We are planning a New England trip for next spring...these are whetting my appetite. :)
Hi Vickie,
I popped over from Vee's too! We got to meet last year in October on my birthday! It was a real treat to meet her and John and you are right - she is wonderful!
And since I trust her judgement I would say you must be pretty nifty yourself!
I am going to have a look around your blog and enjoy my afternoon!
Deanna
I'm visiting today via Vee's Haven. What fun you had together!
Hi Vickie, I just saw at Vee's where you got to meet her! I just knew she would be just like she comes across in her blog and you confirmed that. Loved reading about you both and enjoyed the photos. Enjoy your weekend!
I'm visiting from Vee too. I too have had the good fortune to meet her and John when we took a trip Maine a few years ago.
A day I won't soon forget!!
Glad you all had such a great time. : )
Some day I wanna go to Maine and meet up with Vee too!
Hi I'm visiting from Vee's blog! Isn't that lighthouse one of the most picturesque you've ever seen? I am so sad that when my husband and I were in Maine last year we did not get a chance to meet Vee and John. My husband was there on business, and his co-workers kind of took control of our quick visit by giving us their own tour of the area. I'm glad you had a wonderful time in New England :)
This Texas girl thanks you for sharing these wonderful pictures and I know you will be painting soon
What a wonderful visit with Vee...God is surely knitting His body together!
An awesome trip.......have fun!
Trying my best not to be jealous of your wonderful visit with one another. You two..... are such amazing women and I've grown to love and respect you so much!!
Thanks for sharing .....
Vickie
I just popped over from Vee's.
How nice you two got to meet each other after all these years of being blogging buddies.
I'm not surprised you found her to be just as you had expected, she doesn't come across as a person who put on any airs!
Glad you both enjoyed your time together!
I just came over from Vee's blog, TOO!!! EVERYONE loves VEE!! I am a Texan - normally live in the DFW area but am now in Houston for a year or so helping my daughter and SIL with their quadruplets. I am your newest follower!! So good to 'meet' you!!
I just popped over after reading about your 'blogger buddy reunion' on Vee's blog. How special to meet in person!
Your travel photos are amazing. I'm adding more and more destinations to my bucket list. As for Texas, I visit there on occasion, since my sister lives in South Texas.
Isn't Vee a sweetheart? We got to meet Vee and John last August and you are right - Vee is exactly herself as we've known her in blogdom and that is consistantly, fantastically, creatively awesome. And John is right there with her. I read her post about you too. How blessed we are with these connections.
Really interesting to read your report of Vee in the flesh having blogged with her for many years. I too own some of her fun gifts, sent across the pond.
She really id love meeting you too and having met a number of bloggers (particularly those staying in my home) I know what fun it can be and how rewarding.
Loved your photos.
Post a Comment