Monday, September 13, 2010

Blueberry Biscuits!!!

Do you LOVE blueberries as much as we do around our house???   We LOVE blueberries!  I keep fresh ones and frozen ones around nearly all the time.  You probably know that you can freeze fresh ones on a cookie sheet and then bag them to put in the freezer.  That way, they won't stick together and get soggy!

Tony was looking at the Food Section in our local newspaper the other day, and he ran across this recipe and brought it home to me.  He loves baked goods, and so I thought I'd give them a try.  SUPER EASY!
And delicious!  This recipe is one I'm keeping!  It did not have a name on it so I don't know who to give credit to for it.


Here's the recipe for
LEMON-GLAZED  BLUEBERRY  BISCUITS

For the Biscuits:

3 c. buttermilk biscuit mix (I used Bisquick)
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

For the Glaze:

1/2 c powdered sugar
1 T lemon juice

In a large bowl, combine the baking mix and sugar.  Stir milk into the dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in blueberries gently.  If using frozen berries, do not thaw first or biscuits will turn blue.  Turn out gently on lightly floured surface (I used a little more Bisquick).  Pat to 3/4 inch thick and cut with a 2-inch cutter, without twisting.  Place 1-inches apart onto a greased baking sheet.  Back at 400 degrees for 11-13 minutes until lightly browned.  Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over warm biscuits.  Makes 9 - 12 biscuits depending on thickness.

NOTE:  my recipe made 10 biscuits and I increased the glaze mixture a little bit cuz I ran out.  I also added a little dab of butter in the glaze mix "just because".  Also, as you can see by my picture that we'd already gotten into 'em before we thought to take a  picture!  Tony now reminds me of things that I should have pictures of to put on the blog...

THESE WERE GREAT!  You have to gently work the berries into the thick mix or your biscuits do start turning blue-ish.  They were so good.  Just a hint of sweetness, not much, and slathered with real butter (with or without jelly or preserves)  they were delicious. And so easy!

Well, gals, this is all for the day.  Short but sweet - not my usual, eh?  Well, I'm giving you a break today, cuz I'm in a hurry. Take care - go get you some Bisquick and blueberries.  Think I'm going to go right home and make another batch.  They were just too good!

18 comments:

Diana Ferguson said...

Oh, will have to try these. YUM!!

Vee said...

Oh darlin'! I'm snagging this recipe. I've never heard of nor even thought of blueberry biscuits, but why not? Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Whats not to love about these..they have all my favorite flavors..lemon, blue berry and glazed too?! YUM ;D

Gail said...

I can smell them!

Michelle said...

Everyone here loves bluberries so I will be making these soon!

Dolores said...

Oh my, I'll be returning to copy this recipe, it sounds delicious. We love blueberries too.
Thanks,

Tanna said...

Let me think. Biscuit. Blueberry. Lemon. Couldn't possibly go wrong with that!!

myletterstoemily said...

everything i love about breakfast:
fast, simple, and sweet!

thanks for the recipe.

Sunny said...

Blueberries are the best! lots of good stuff in there. When I was 12 my parents bought a piece of farmland and planted 200 BB bushes. They sold some at a local farm market and also as "pick-your-own". Those were the good old days! When we moved to KY I brought 6 young BB bushes with me but have had a hard time with them here. Do they grow well in TX??

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Yummmmmmmmm!

'Tis a bit more difficult around here, making them for us now. But can use Bisquick, for his. And my newly found Gluten Free Bisquick-like mix, for mine!

Liane said...

Those look super easy to make and I'll be sure to try them soon! My mouth began to water as soon as I saw the pic!
Thanks for sharing....

Mrs. JP said...

Thanks for the recipe---I"ll be trying those soon. YUMMM

Tara said...

YUMMO! Going to have to give those a whirl.
hugs,
tara

Paula said...

Oh, boy- those look deee-lish, Vickie!! I gained a couple of pounds trying to lick the computer screen! *HA*
Thanks for sharing the recipe- might have to try these this weekend.

Junebug said...

These sound yummy! I will have to copy the receipe when I get home. I'm still on vacation here in your lovely state. Ahhh, warm weather and pool. Can't get any better!

Ladybug said...

These sound sooooo good I love
anything Blueberry...Have to make
these for sure !! TFS

Love your Blog its awesome, Enjoyed
reading all your posts...
I'm follower now !!!

Many Blessings
Trish-Ladybug

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I also love bluberries, but have never tried them in biscuits. Thanks for sharing the recipe. blessings,Kathleen

Ginger said...

I wish I had one of those little puppies right now...yummo. I am going to write this recipe down and give it a try. I love anything with lemon and I like blueberries too.