(caution - not for the faint of heart or those prone to losing the contents of one's stomach... cover your children's eyes...)
If the guys on the movie "The Great Escape" had had a few of these guys, they would've made it out of the stalag with bells on. This'un here is one of the biggest I've caught yet. You could almost made a nice size coin purse out of him.... hmmmm....
SHOUT OUT to Kathy at Spot on Cedar Pond - Kathy, I've killed 4 gophers in the last two weeks. When it rains (as it did a couple of weeks ago) the gophers have to do major renovations and excavations to their burrows. It's been a long time since our last rain last spring. It's been a long dry spell for gopher huntin'.
SOOOO, check on my sidebar for my gopher count. End of the year we'll tally up and see who wins our contest for this year! No matter who wins I've got something up my sleeve to send to Kathy!!! Thanks Kathy, for joining in this fun game!
My daughter sent me a picture of her and her mutt. Remi was a rescue from the Animal Shelter and he's been THE BEST DOG she could ask for. He is so protective of her, he's sweet, and he stands guard over his owner without fail. Half/Lab and half/birddog. She lets him sleep on her bed, and I think I don't have to worry about somebody trying to slip in. He uses his big dog bad bark when he hears something strange outside, but he's not a yapper.
Below is what's left of our pond. Sad. It was full up to the rim early this year. If there were any fishies in it, they've been toast for awhile. I don't know where all the turtles went. There were tons of turtles in there.... All the brown you see are dead trees... It's a good thing we didn't have any livestock this year. We'd be out looking for old bathtubs or stock tanks to pump water to them.
For comparison, here's a photo of what it normally looks like...
That's old Jake out there swimming... may he rest in peace. My husband bought him a granite headstone to put over Jake's gravesite. Wasn't that sweet? He was a great dog...
What's going on in YOUR neck ' o ' the woods?
15 comments:
Trapped Again...Death by Tr..sn..ap...Don't Get on Her Nerves... LOL!
Oh it's a good thing supper is still a couple of hours away. It is a pot roast about that dude's size. Oh ewwww...
Your poor pond. May it be filled with water, turtles, and fish again...maybe by this time next year.
My corner? Painting, painting, and more painting. Ugh.
Well, no gophers here, however a badger has made it's den just on the other side of our yard.........I spotted it drinking out of the birds water, then slowly followed to see where it was staying. Not sure how I will handle this.........they are quite mean and aggressive. Your pond looks just like the one down the road from us. Hopefully, good rain will come your way. Blessings,Kathleen
We have a lot of them in our yard this year.
Glad that I don't have to eat for awhile.lol
I sure hope that your pond comes back.
Your daughters dog is so cute.glad to hear that he is a good watch dog.
Nice weather is back in my corner,so I am trying to get my outside decor put away for winter.
Hugs
This was the second time I visited today. The first time I was just sitting down with lunch and after reading your warning decided to come back later...lol. Would have been fine.
Glad your candles arrived safely! I always worry about these things.
We did have fun in VA. I love time spent with the family.
Your daughter's dog is beautiful. Amazing the animals that are found in shelters. We've found our best pets there.
Wow, great catch. I have a feeling that Kathy will be getting a hand made coin purse!!!!
Oh I remember last year you talking about the gophers...oh my country living.
Oh my 20 year old daughter has a big dog also...they go everywhere...now I have to admit I don't like being called the dog's grandmother...please just give me a grand child (marry first) instead
Oh I hope you all get rain...we sure need it also, the trees are so stressed...may it fill up your pond
wow I heard that things were dry in texas but now that really does hit the message home.
I hope you get all the rain you need soon.
Glad to see your daughter is protected by such a cutie.
Good going on the gopher, may you get many more
Remi could be the twin of my Charlie who is half lab/bird dog. And, such a great dog he is!
LOL! Gopher season is going full swing I see! LOL!
Remi is a good one! I know you like knowing he is there watching over your Princess.
It is so sad how dry and how the trees are dying... This too shall pass.
Happy Hunting! blessings ~ tanna
My corner? Well I got my RV out of the shop finally and I'll be loading it up with food clothes and painting supplies and heading to PA soon, soo as I can quit crying so much. Been a rough last few days, but I know to expect that. I'll get up ther and see my kids and feel better and hopefully catch some fall leaves on canvas.
Get yer paint out and paint that pond and just imagine there's water in it :-)
The pond looks almost dry, that's really sad. Our pond here in MO is down about 3 feet and we could use more rain, but it's nothing like TX has endured. Here's hoping and praying for rains to fill up the ponds and lakes and replenish the parched land in TX and wherever else it's needed!
I've never had any luck catching those critters. Glad you're getting some though.
Oh man...I feel you here...the golphers are every where around here. Making holes in the yard..eating up the shrubs and destroying my flower beds...
Guess it could be worse...Our oldest daughter lives in town and they have caught 2 racoons and two possums in the past week. Now they are after an armadillo that is tearing up the yard..
Blessings,
shug
I am so jealous you're getting so many earth-moving varmints, we did get 2 I haven't listed yet, but I think you just might be winning again this year. You are so right about them tunneling so well as to help with escape.The damage done to our place is increasing and my new blueberry bushes are completely ringed with underground tunnels.
Your pond is beautiful when full, hopefully Texas will not see drought like this for a very long time, if ever.
Your daughters' dog is so stunning, and I am even more convinced now by personal experience that we need good dogs around to alert us and protect us. Hooray for loving AND protective dogs!
Wow, by your pond, I can definitely tell you live in Texas! And your daughter's dog is a beauty! It's wonderful to have a best-friend and hero in your dog. The granite headstone for your faithful companion that's moved on is very sweet, such a nice tribute.
Lana
www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com
Post a Comment